New York 18 5/4 94
Dear Madame Thurber,
I have waited till now but I am exceedingly sory[!]1 that circumstances foresee me to write to you, I must inform you I can not wait no[!]2 longer.
I love the American people very much and it has been my desire to help Art in the United States but the necessities of life go hand in hand with Art, and tough[!]3 I personally care very little for worldly things, I canot [!]4 see my wife and children in trouble. If circumstances are such that I can not receive my salary according to the contract I shall submit the case to the “Board of Trustees” and if I can not have immediate attention from them I will publish my situation to the world.
Without any other feeling than that of profound regrets - I beg you to give this your immediate attention, so as it is absolutely impossible for me to wait any longer. A delay will force me to publish the situation which I would like to have kept secret.
Most respectfully yours,
Director of the National Conservatory of Music of America
- I cannot wait any